The Ibanag's JOY

She is from Lambunao, a town in  Iloilo province. We went to high school together. Her older sister was my teacher in my freshman high school; she and another sister boarded with us when she went to college in UP. We all stayed in one room and we were really like sisters. Along the way, so many unexpected things happened. After finishing her degree,  she found herself going back to Iloilo to teach at the UP Visayas. That was the last thing I heard about Joy. We totally lost contact.

That's Joy and her lovely family.

Over the years, I would hear snippets about her but details weren't exactly  enough to make an initial connection, until the internet. It's now almost 40 years. Just like my other friends, like Sue  fate smiled and through social networking sites like facebook, Joy somehow found us again. This was her initial message to me:

"Hi Lou, bestfriend! I have been thinking of u. I was in Manila last Christmas and Ning and I were wondering how to find you. Astrid was over too with her husband Wondy and we all wanted to see you. We have to meet up sometime".

And a follow-up message:

"Thanks for the nice comments sa mga pictures namin. Ang dami dami ko pa gustong i upload na pictures, para u & Sue and our other friends can have a glimpse of my life in the past 30 + years? Also I do want to have a glimpse of your and Sue's life over the years, too. Alam mo ba na napa panaginipan kita now and then?  Lets keep in touch.

Yes, I still have mostly black hair, with a few streaks of puti, ikaw ba, puti na ba buhok mo, or ganun rin? Ikaw, slim ka pa, ako ang taba na. Okay pa rin naman, under control pa. Mabait ang asawa ko, Kristiano pa. Hindi naman kapogian, dahil may edad na rin. Bawi lang ako sa anak ko.

Di namin kaya umuwi diyan every year. Siempre, kailangan rin kasing mag ipon para sa pag retire diyan sa Pinas. Either tawag na lang ako sa yo, or mag web cam tayo. Nagwe web cam us nila Nening. We'll have to arrange how.

Oks muna, bye for now. Kuento ka rin tungkol kay Guy at mga anak mo. Love..."

I feel rejuvenated having found my friends again. It doesn't matter that we're just on the internet. At least, we can now keep tabs of each other. And I vow never to loose contact again. Woohoo!!! :-) :-)