Some people are not comfortable in bringing with them large amounts of cash especially if they plan to purchase big ticket items like jewelry and other expensive personal effects, home appliances, DIY equipment, etc.
That is why people find it convenient to have credit cards. Today's credit cards are way far ahead from those of the old days. Financial services cards are not limited anymore to credit but debit facilities as well. Use it to shop, gas up or get your airline tickets, book travel accommodations, whatever. .It is definitely safer.
And credit card rewards too are awesome. Loyalty programs allow you to choose the kind that you want - gas, cash back, airline, restaurant points.
Credit and debit cards today are also available for better cash control of student allowances, tuition for family members. What more, cards today will make you feel secure because they provide fraud liability features embedded with automatic mobile and email alerts cards in case of accidental loss or theft.
And when you decide to acquire one, here are some credit card tips:
1. decide where your card is going to be used and then research which one is right for your specific needs (it wouldn't be judicious to use your card for everything)
2. do your due diligence. yes, and the research must include information on each credit card company's annual fees, loyalty programs (which offers the best that's compatible personal or preferential situation) and don't forget, check the card service limitations
3. most important is find out its interest rates and this can not be over emphasized.. so you know the risks..
4. also, ask around about their customer service reputation, 24x7 availability is a must
5. and last but not the least, read the fine print
Good luck and remember whether cash, debit or credit cards, don't spend it all in one place..