Reflections

My post about Robert Kiyosaki, known world over as "financial guru cum motivational speaker", got me thinking about my own history of financial challenges. Issues that were resolved over time, because I tried very hard to right the wrongs; and just held on to the belief that nothing remains forever.

At the moment, I still do not possess the financial freedom to relax and do the things I really want to do. Suffice it to say that I am fully aware that being an employee usually is a paycheck to paycheck kind of existence and more often, can not be better than running your own business, no matter how small.

I resigned from an IT software marketing job in 1989 to become an entrepreneur in 1990. Thanks to my American based principals and by way of recommendations from their Singaporean partners, I was encouraged into going it on my own. For six years, I was practically, a one man army doing, marketing, sales, book keeping and other odd jobs that needed to be accomplished because there was no one else to do it.

Thanks to this IT research and publications distribution business, I was able to acquire a financial position, which would not have been otherwise available to me by remaining an employee. True, sales commissions were also good, but running your own show was the best.

One thing I realized though was that sales success do not translate to financial savvy. I would have achieved my full financial freedom as early as 1996 had I known what I know now. That is water under the bridge. Yes but, deep in my heart, I believe that there is still a second wind for me. Everything I lost, a small real estate property , my cars, and jewelry, free travel and most of all, my confidence. I believe however, success is within my grasp.

I refuse to forget the fact that through this business, I was not only able to help all my children get their education, but also supported my brother and his wife in the acquisition of a small property up east and help relatives who were at that time needy. Yes, I couldn't have done it all without being an entrepreneur.

In 1997, however, my principal was hit with downsizing. Expectedly, they did what they had to do - all Asian distributorship contracts were not renewed. Goes without saying that my business outfit was done in the process:-(

All's not lost though. Next time around it would be a whole lot better :-)