Happy Birthday Nigel

Today is Nigel's birthday. That's my stepson who just recently married. Since wife, Myles is back to work at Luxembourg, he is spending his birthday with us. The 'us' who joined us for a small dinner was, of course my partner, Jet his best friend, his bro Jerome(at last), Belle. Jerome's girlfriend, Jigs, another brother, (Joanne-Bebe was supposed to come as well but too tired from work and school; and of course Andre, eldest brother, who joined us belatedly.

Right now they are still drinking beer as usual. Jerome is being continuously roasted for missing so many family occasions, including Nigel's wedding. Aaarrgghh.

I can't believe Nigel is 30 and married. The first time I met Nigel was back when he was about 3. He did a 'poem' for me - from splendor in the grass. I saw him again when he was already driving his own car, dropping in once in a while to watch my sons' neighborhood basketball games. At that time he was a varsity player for his school. Time flew so fast. Shortly, he was already doing his thesis.

In 2001, we asked him to live with us. I know it was kind of difficult in the beginning, each one, sort of feeling around each other. Nigel is so child like, very far from his actual physical size. Hunk, if I may say so. We built our relationship on the basis of friendship because, I could not be his Mom. I am not sure even, if I could claim that I would have been a good surrogate Mom. Nigel idolizes his Mom so much.

Somehow, I regret not having him as an addition to my three sons. I remember, one Mother's Day, when he so thoughtfully, gave me some flowers. At that point, I wish he was of my own blood.

My partner and I wanted nothing but what we thought were good for him. But I guess, we were not perfect. We made some mistakes. I know I made mine. Mea culpa. How I wish I did better as an adult for him, if not a better step-Mom.

Having said that, I wish Nigel, my step son a purposeful and meaningful life ahead and all the best in the years to come. Happiness too with Myles and their future brood.

BTW, I hope Jigs was able to take some pics so I could upload it here at a later time.

Happy Birthday Nigel Garth !!! May You have many more.