Life in Death

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.
-A.E. Newman

Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural
fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.
-Francis Bacon

Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave.
-Bishop Hall

Sleep is a death; oh, make me try
By sleeping what it is to die,
And as gently lay my head
On my grave as now my bed!
-Sir Thomas Browne

O eloquent, just, and mightie Death! whom none could advise, thou hast
persuaded; what none hath dared.
-Sir Walter Raleigh

Tis after death that we measure men.
--James Barron Hope

Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
--A. Sachs

Men fear death, as if unquestionably the greatest evil, and yet no man
knows that it may not be the greatest good.
--William Mitford

Death--the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.
--Walter Scott

To stop sinning suddenly.
--Elbert Hubbard

All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"--a strange complaint to
come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
--Mark Twain

A punishment to some, to some a gift, and to many a favor.
--Seneca

I look upon life as a gift from God. I did nothing to earn it. Now that
the time is coming to give it back, I have no right to complain.
--Joyce Cary

The gods conceal from men the happiness of death, that they may endure
life.
--Lucan

Don't strew me with roses after I'm dead.
When Death claims the light of my brow
No flowers of life will cheer me: instead
You may give me my roses now!
--Thomas F. Healey

God's finger touched him, and he slept.
--Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have
nothing whatever to do with it.
--W. Somerset Maugham

He that lives to forever, never fears dying.
--William Penn

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three
parts dead.
--Bertrand Russell

How frighteningly few are the persons whose death would spoil our
appetite and make the world seem empty.
--Eric Hoffer

Most people would rather die than think: many do.
--Bertrand Russell