Skip to main content

Life in Death

Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.
-A.E. Newman

Men fear death as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural
fear in children is increased with tales, so is the other.
-Francis Bacon

Death borders upon our birth, and our cradle stands in the grave.
-Bishop Hall

Sleep is a death; oh, make me try
By sleeping what it is to die,
And as gently lay my head
On my grave as now my bed!
-Sir Thomas Browne

O eloquent, just, and mightie Death! whom none could advise, thou hast
persuaded; what none hath dared.
-Sir Walter Raleigh

Tis after death that we measure men.
--James Barron Hope

Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
--A. Sachs

Men fear death, as if unquestionably the greatest evil, and yet no man
knows that it may not be the greatest good.
--William Mitford

Death--the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.
--Walter Scott

To stop sinning suddenly.
--Elbert Hubbard

All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"--a strange complaint to
come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
--Mark Twain

A punishment to some, to some a gift, and to many a favor.
--Seneca

I look upon life as a gift from God. I did nothing to earn it. Now that
the time is coming to give it back, I have no right to complain.
--Joyce Cary

The gods conceal from men the happiness of death, that they may endure
life.
--Lucan

Don't strew me with roses after I'm dead.
When Death claims the light of my brow
No flowers of life will cheer me: instead
You may give me my roses now!
--Thomas F. Healey

God's finger touched him, and he slept.
--Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice to you is to have
nothing whatever to do with it.
--W. Somerset Maugham

He that lives to forever, never fears dying.
--William Penn

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three
parts dead.
--Bertrand Russell

How frighteningly few are the persons whose death would spoil our
appetite and make the world seem empty.
--Eric Hoffer

Most people would rather die than think: many do.
--Bertrand Russell

Popular posts from this blog

Ibanag and Filipino Childbirth Rituals

"For parents, birth rituals and ceremonies provide an immediate sense of connection as well as inclusion of the child into the clan, tribe or community. These rituals establish at a very early stage, who they are. The rituals also serve as guideposts as they grow and develop their own sense of identity. Even if they drift away from or reject their heritage, their early experiences give them a place to return to if they so choose".

The Ibanag culture is filled with childbearing rituals and practices which have been handed down from one generation to another. Here are some of them.

1. It is said that if a pregnant woman has a lot of blemishes or pimples on her face, her baby will be a girl.
2. If the mother glows and radiates beauty, the baby will be a boy.
3. If the mother craves for sweets and other carbohydrates, the baby will be a girl.
4. If the mother is craving for oily or fried foods, the baby will be a boy.
5. The mother should not eat 'balut' (a native duck egg d…

February Christmas and my new iphone

My son JD gave me this phone as a Christmas gift. Thank you!

Play